This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 10/15/16: Unfortunately Airbnb has been pulled from MileagePlus X, so it’s currently not possible to earn additional bonus points using the method outlined below.
There have been limited opportunities to earn bonus miles or points on Airbnb purchases — only certain cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the Citi ThankYou Premier, which offer 3x points on travel purchases, would earn you a bonus. However, the MileagePlus X app from United has added Airbnb as a merchant, so you can now earn at least 3x United miles for Airbnb purchases, in addition to the points or miles you’ll earn with your card.
For every dollar you spend on Airbnb, you will get 3 United miles, which TPG values at 1.5 cents each. You’ll earn points from your credit card purchase as well. If you were to use the Chase Sapphire Reserve, for example, you could potentially earn 3x Ultimate Reward points, assuming Airbnb purchases through the app code as travel. So, a $500 purchase could lead to 3,000 points in total — not bad! You’ll essentially be purchasing an Airbnb gift card through United’s app, which you can then credit to your Airbnb account.
Further, United MileagePlus Explorer cardholders get a 25% bonus on any earnings through the app — even if you don’t use that card to make the purchase, boosting your bonus to 3.75 miles per dollar. If you don’t have the United MileagePlus Explorer Card already, you can earn 30,000 bonus United miles after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first three months if you sign up now.
Additionally, in unrelated Airbnb news, the company has begun a partnership with Qantas Airlines, where you can earn Qantas miles by booking Airbnb stays through the carrier’s website. For every dollar spent with Airbnb, you’ll receive one Qantas mile. Unfortunately it isn’t possible to stack these promos, so purchase through United’s app if that works for you.
Featured image courtesy of Airbnb.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards