This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s at it again — with no notice at all, the airline has increased the cost of one-way awards in business class between the US and India. Previously, you could book a business-class award for 70,000 SkyMiles one-way on Delta partners such as Korean Air and Air France. After the change, however, these flights will require an eye-watering 97,500 SkyMiles.
Despite some positive enhancements to the SkyMiles program, this change reminds us how the airline has continually made significant devaluations without preparing customers beforehand. Since Delta no longer publishes an official award chart, it can make changes whenever it sees fit, but some sort of advance alert would be a good way to prepare flyers for significant price increases like this one.
Here’s what availability looks like for December 2016 and January 2017 for flights from New York (JFK) to Delhi, India (DEL). As you can see, one-way awards in business class won’t come cheap — in addition to the 97,500 SkyMiles, many tickets come with hefty surcharges of up to $450.
A search for the same flight between JFK and DEL in economy shows that the airline has saved economy awards from this devaluation — they’re still pricing at 40,000 SkyMiles one-way.
If you’ve been saving for one of these awards and now find yourself suddenly short the required number of miles, you can consider adding to your SkyMiles balance with the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card From American Express, which is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 30,000 SkyMiles when you spend $1,000 within the first three months of account opening.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and 20% off in-flight purchases.
- Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
- Check your first bag free on every Delta flight - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle in sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees