This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve all been there — standing at the baggage claim carousel impatiently wondering why our bags are taking so long to arrive. Delta hopes to take some of the guessing out of this situation with an exciting new feature in its mobile app. When you open the Fly Delta app you can now track your checked luggage’s location. Delta has started using bag tags with RFID technology, which transmits real-time data to the app and will tell you your bag’s last scanned location.
Pins are dropped on a map indicating where the bag has been, so you can trace its path to the plane, any transfers it makes and when it’s delivered to the baggage claim carousel. Although you won’t be able to see where your bag is at every moment (this isn’t the same as GPS technology), you’ll know its last scanned location. Tapping on any of the pins will give travelers additional information about their bag’s journey.
“From the moment our customers drop off their bag, we want them to know we’re looking out for it every step of the way and working to take the stress out of flying one innovation at a time,” said Bill Lentsch, Delta’s Senior Vice President – Airline Operations and Airport Customer Service in a statement Tuesday.
RFID technology is currently being used in 84 airports across the US after the airline said it was investing $50 million in implementing the tech earlier this year. Delta also expects this to reduce misplaced bags by 10% to 25%.
H/T: The Verge
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards