This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest just announced another major sale, with fares starting at $44 one-way for both domestic and international flights if you purchase by October 6. The sale is valid for departures from November 30, 2016 through March 2, 2017 with some restrictions in December and January. Since Southwest uses a fare-based award redemption system, award tickets are also heavily discounted and could be a great use of Rapid Rewards points.
You’ll have to search on Southwest’s website to find your ideal flight, as the airline doesn’t allow travel search engines access to their flight schedule. If you have the Southwest Companion Pass (now much easier to get thanks to the merger of Starwood and Marriott), this sale would be a great way to travel with a companion for next to nothing.
Route: US and international routes
Cost: $44+ one-way in economy
Dates: November 30, 2016 – March 2, 2017
Booking Link: Southwest
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige Card or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Denver (DEN) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $44 one-way in January:
Denver (DEN) to Los Angeles (LAX) for 2,002 points + $5.60 one-way in January:
New York (LGA) to Chicago (MDW) for $49 one-way in December:
Los Angeles (LAX) to San Francisco (SFO) for $49 one-way in February:
Washington, D.C. (DCA) to New Orleans (MSY) for $79 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards