This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific is the latest carrier to implement some potentially unwelcome changes to its award redemptions. The Hong Kong-based carrier announced that as of October 12, it will offer an additional two tiers of award options for first and business class on Cathay and Dragonair flights — what it’s calling “Priority Awards.”
For the time being, there are still saver awards, however, with these new tiers, it’s possible that these saver awards could eventually start to disappear or become more difficult to find availability for. Here’s what a one-way business class and first class redemption would cost you with Asia Miles through the new Priority Award tiers between most US cities and Hong Kong:
- Saver: 85,000 miles
- Tier 1: 128,000 miles
- Tier 2: 170,000 miles
- Saver: 130,000 miles
- Tier 1: 195,000 miles
- Tier 2: 260,000 miles
What does this mean for the average flyer? Because Cathay is a member of Oneworld and therefore a partner of American Airlines, AA passengers looking to book premium cabin award tickets on Cathay could not find many options in the future — especially given the good availability they’re used to seeing. As of now, however, there are no noticeable changes in the standard availability for those who are looking to book through partners.
These new priority awards could potentially have some impact in the future, but as of now, it could still be a good time to book Cathay premium awards, especially if you’re looking to book through partners like American and Alaska. These changes shouldn’t be a huge surprise, however, as Cathay introduced tiered awards in economy and premium economy in 2014.
Keep in mind that you can also transfer your Amex Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou points to Cathay Pacific to redeem for these premium-class awards. The new-and-improved Amex Platinum card now earns you 5x points on airfare booked directly with the airline, which could put you well on your way to saving up for a premium-class redemption. The card currently comes with a sign-up bonus of 40,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees