This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earning points and miles via the traditional method (actually staying in hotels or flying) is just one way to boost your account balance. Fortunately, travel providers make it relatively easy to accrue rewards without traveling, whether through top credit card offers or by utilizing shopping portals and dining rewards programs. You can also purchase points or miles directly from the hotel or airline.
Good news if you’re in need of some extra IHG points. Now through November 16, IHG is running a promotion offering up to a 100% bonus when you buy IHG points. Unlike the most recent 100% bonus IHG promotion, this offer is targeted. Some members of the TPG team received an 80% bonus, while others are getting a 100% bonus offer. If you’re targeted for the 100% bonus, you can effectively pay just 0.575 cents per IHG point.
This promotion has a tiered bonus structure:
- 40% or 50% bonus when buying between 5,000 and 15,000 points
- 80% or 100% bonus when buying 16,000+ points
Here’s how to take advantage of the promotion:
- Visit IHG’s Buy Points link.
- Enter your name, IHG number, PIN and email address to log in to Points.com.
- Select the number of points you want to purchase.
- Enter your credit card information and billing address and click Continue.
- Confirm the details, check the box to agree to the Terms and Conditions and click Pay Now.
Keep in mind that the usual restrictions for purchasing IHG Rewards points apply to these transactions, including:
- You can purchase points in increments of 1,000 points up to a maximum of 60,000 points per transaction/calendar year (you can also receive an additional 60,000 points per calendar year).
- The points will post within 24-48 hours and do not count toward earning elite status.
Note that the purchase is processed by Points.com, so you won’t get any travel category bonuses from this purchase. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s point and mile valuations, the Chase Freedom Unlimited‘s 1.5x Ultimate Reward points would be the most rewarding choice.
Is It Worth It?
In his most recent valuations, TPG pegs IHG points at 0.7 cents each. If you got the 100% bonus, the purchase price of 0.575 cents per point means you’re paying nearly 20% less than the value you can reasonably expect to get from a redemption. So, this is a great deal that’s worth a close look. If you need a hotel for some upcoming travel, check to see if there’s a IHG hotel that works for you. If so, see if you’d be able to book the hotel for cheaper buying and redeeming points than paying for the hotel outright.
Interestingly, this promotion will be available when IHG releases a new list of IHG PointBreaks hotels. The current list of PointBreaks hotels expires on October 31, so we can expect a new list any day now. PointBreaks hotels are limited-time, limited-quantity nights available at just 5,000 points per night. If you’re able to buy points at the 0.575 cents per point rate, you’ll be able to book PointBreaks hotels for less than $29 per night. As you can imagine, the best PointBreaks options are scooped up quickly, and purchased IHG points could take 24-48 hours to post. So, now might be one time it could make sense to stock up on points without having a specific redemption in mind.
For those who are targeted for the 100% bonus, this is a great promotion to take advantage of if you’re in need of a larger amount of IHG points. At the effective purchase rate of 0.575 cents per point, you’ll be able to book PointBreaks hotels for under $29 per night — or pay about $86 for Category 2 hotels such as the Holiday Inn Express in Cape Town City Centre. If you’ve received the 80% bonus, the 0.64 cents per point cost is less appealing but could still save you a bundle at some IHG hotels.
Featured image courtesy of the InterContinental Hong Kong.
Will you be taking advantage of this bonus offer?
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Enjoy an Anniversary Free Night each year of card membership at over 5,000 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a cardmember
- Automatic 10% points rebate on redemptions
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49