This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today’s a sad day for Avgeeks and plane spotters everywhere — it’s the last day for KLM’s 747 service from Amsterdam (AMS) to St. Maarten (SXM). The flight was iconic because the massive 747 had to land (and take off from) the tiny airport’s runway, which is just steps from Maho Beach — one of the most popular destinations for plane spotters. The route will be replaced with nonstop flights from Amsterdam to St. Maarten on an Airbus A330 starting October 30. In honor of the 747’s last landing at SXM this morning, we bring you a video of the jet’s takeoff and it’s aftermath in this installment of crazy aviation videos.
In this clip from March, we see a 747 preparing for takeoff at SXM. As it turns, you can hear the massive engines roaring, with onlookers watching from Maho Beach. The four GE engines get louder and the plane starts to move for its takeoff, and that’s where the action begins. The plane creates a massive jet blast resulting in a sort of sandstorm that blows dozens of people right into the ocean.
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards