This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Chase Sapphire Reserve
Virgin Atlantic’s offering travelers a pretty valuable sale on economy and premium economy award flights through September 22, 2016. Although you have to book your 30% discounted award ticket by September 22, travel is valid through the end of the carrier’s schedule. There’s no registration required for the promotion. Instead, you just have to search for award travel and the fares will automatically populate.
Virgin Atlantic is pricing out this sale based on where you’re traveling to or from. Here’s what’s needed for round-trip economy flights during the sale to or from several cities in the US. To see the full list of other international cities, visit Virgin Atlantic’s page.
Keep in mind that you’ll have to pay Virgin Atlantic’s taxes, fees and carrier-imposed surcharges to take advantage of this sale. They can be pricey, but don’t appear to be too high with this promotion. Also note that with this sale, Miles Plus Money fares cannot be combined with the full mileage reward seats, and CombiFares are permitted.
Here are the fares for round-trip in premium economy from the same US cities:
With the sale, a one-way flight from New York to London will cost you 12,250 miles — worth about $184 based on TPG’s most recent valuations. If you want to book in premium economy, the one-way ticket will cost you 19,250 — worth about $283 based on TPG’s valuations.
If you don’t have enough Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles, keep in mind that it’s extremely easy to transfer miles from all three transferable point programs — Chase Ultimate Rewards, Amex Membership Rewards or Citi ThankYou Points. With the Chase Sapphire Reserve‘s sign-up bonus of 100,000 Ultimate Rewards points after you spend $4,000 in the first three months, you could fly four people (or fly four times yourself!) between New York and London in economy. This sale could represent a good deal if you’ve been planning to go to the UK and don’t mind traveling in economy or premium economy.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards