This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every month, Air France and KLM’s Flying Blue program offers a promotion for up to 50% off select award tickets — though a 25% discount is a bit more common. Typically, available routings aren’t the most exciting, but with Flying Blue’s latest promotion, there are some great opportunities to book award travel from several US cities to Europe in business class and economy at a 25% discount.
The latest promotion begins October 1 (tomorrow) and lasts through October 31, for travel between December 1, 2016 and January 31, 2017 (though this varies). If you’ve been wanting to get away for the holidays, this could be a good opportunity to do so at a discount.
The US cities included in this promotion are Houston, Miami, San Francisco, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, New York (JFK) and Washington, D.C. Note that the travel dates for each of the cities varies, so it’s best to check the promotions website for complete details from your home airport. With the discount, these routes will cost you the following:
- 18,750 Flying Blue miles one-way in economy (usually 25,000)
- 46,875 Flying Blue miles one-way in business (usually 62,500)
Flying Blue points are incredibly easy to get, since you can transfer from each of the major transferable points programs — Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou points. You can transfer points earned with a number of cards, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (and its 100,000-point sign-up bonus), Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card and the Citi Prestige Card.
If you’ve been planning to visit Europe, this could be a promotion worth looking at. Although a 25% discount may not make the biggest of differences, it’s better than paying full price. In addition, there are still some redemptions available from September’s promotion, which also featured some US cities. Keep an eye out tomorrow (October 1) for when this promotion goes live if you’re looking to take advantage.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards