This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific is the latest airline to retire its fleet of Boeing 747s. The Queen of the Skies will be flying its last flights for the Hong Kong-based carrier next week between HKG and Japan. On September 30, flight CX542 will fly from Hong Kong (HKG) to Tokyo (HND) and then the final flight, CX543, will depart Tokyo and return home to Hong Kong the next day, October 1.
We at TPG get a little nostalgic when airlines retire 747s — it’s one of our favorite aircraft of all time. So, in this installment of interesting aviation videos, we’re paying tribute to Cathay’s 747s with a fantastic, high-definition video of the aircraft landing and taking off again at New Chitose Airport (CTS) serving the Sapporo Metropolitan Area in Japan. This high-def video allows us to admire Cathay Pacific’s beautiful livery as the aircraft completes a perfectly smooth landing. Then, the emotional part. As the 747 soars into the Japanese sky we’re reminded that after next week, the carrier will no longer fly one of its most storied aircraft of all time.
Did you ever have the chance to fly on Cathay Pacific’s 747?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards