This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 12/8/16: The ability to earn Shop Your Way points with Uber has expanded to 23 new markets. The cities include Atlanta, Boston, Connecticut (statewide), Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, New Jersey (statewide), New Orleans, Orange County (CA), Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland (OR), Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa Bay and Washington, D.C. These new markets are in addition to the existing two cities — New York and Chicago.
Uber recently teamed up with Shop Your Way, a free rewards and loyalty program from Sears that lets you earn points to use on future purchases. Starting this week, both drivers and riders can earn rewards on trips they take with the app and receive an extra bonus just for linking their Uber accounts to the shopping program.
Riders who link their accounts will earn $2 in Shop Your Way points for every trip they take with Uber — first-time riders can also earn $5 in Shop Your Way points and a free ride of up to $15. Note that while this offer for riders is only available in New York City and Chicago right now, a nationwide rollout is expected to begin soon.
Drivers, on the other hand, can earn up to $425 in Shop Your Way points after completing 100 trips within 45 days (up to $1,000 in points for New York City drivers only) — just be sure to link your Shop Your Way account to Uber first. The two companies will also be giving thousands of Uber drivers in Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City and San Francisco Shop Your Way points at random. As as additional perk, participating drivers can save 50% on oil changes and get 30% back (in Shop Your Way points) on all labor at Sears Auto Centers (excluding tires and parts).
Shop Your Way points earned through this partnership can be redeemed for millions of products at Sears, Kmart, Lands End and on ShopYourWay.com. After every ride, riders will also be entered to be one of 1,000 winners who will get an additional $10 in points every month — note that this particular promotion ends December 31, 2016.
Ultimately, this could be a pretty rewarding partnership for both Uber riders and drivers. The potential to earn both Shop Your Way points, which can be redeemed for a variety of purchases, plus valuable transferable points — via the credit card you’ve already linked to your Uber account — seems very promising. If you don’t already have a Shop Your Way account, this could be good reason to sign up for one.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards