This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re used to seeing elevators transport people or smaller cargo items from one level to another — but a mid-dam elevator for cargo ships is a first. On China’s Yangtze River, the controversial Three Gorges Dam is home to the latest engineering marvel, which cuts the time for cargo ships to get past the dam from three hours to 40 minutes. As you can see below, cargo ships can now seamlessly travel from one stage to the next — a revolutionary concept.
The new elevator transports each ship and its water from one level to the next, bypassing the five stages of locks they used to have to go through — it’s designed to accommodate cargo ships, but, as you can see in the clip above, it appears that ferries (filled with passengers) can use it, too. It’s about 370 feet in height, takes about 40 minutes to go up or down and can carry nearly seven million pounds. The new technology will allow six million more tons of cargo to cross the dam every year. Some of the larger ships, however, will still have to use the locks.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards