This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the not-so-distant future, gone will be the days of applying for a credit card online and having to wait 5-7 business days for your new piece of plastic (or metal) to arrive in the mail. Bank of America provides an account number for you to use for online purchases, but National Australia Bank (NAB) is the first to advance the effort to eliminate the wait time for in-store purchases.
This week, NAB said that starting later this year, users will be able to apply for a NAB Visa card right on their mobile app, and if approved, will be able to start using the card instantly via their digital wallet. Payments will be maxed at AU$100 (about $75) per transaction until your physical card arrives in the mail, but nevertheless, it’s still nice to be able to work towards your minimum spend immediately after getting approved.
Additionally, NAB says the mobile app update will allow users to have greater control over their banking. This includes being able to freeze not only the primary account holder’s cards but also authorized users’ cards directly from the app. Although this feature is neither new nor exclusive to NAB — Citi and Discover both offer a similar option — it’s great to see greater security measures being rolled out to more banks worldwide.
Featured image courtesy of NAB.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards