This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin America has gotten in the habit of giving away free points recently. In February, Virgin offered 500 bonus points for each friend you referred. A couple of weeks ago, the airline started offering 500 points for signing up for Virgin Hotel emails (still valid through September 30). Now, there’s a new 500-point bonus for opting-in for Virgin Sport emails by September 30.
What’s Virgin Sport? In an email to Elevate members, Virgin is claims that it’s “still a secret. But just for a few more miles.” Whatever that means. It seems Virgin is on the verge of launching some sort of fitness challenge program for interested members.
It takes less than a minute to register for the emails to get 500 Virgin America points. Based on the latest TPG valuation, that’s up to $11 of value toward a Virgin America award flight just for opting-in to an email list. And, you can opt out at any time. Nothing in the terms and conditions require you to remain subscribed once the bonus points post.
Make sure to set a reminder to check your Elevate account in late October to see if your points posted. Points are supposed to appear 10 days after the promotion end date (September 30). However, quite a few Elevate members didn’t get credit from February’s refer-a-friend promotion. It can’t hurt to have a screenshot of your opt-in confirmation in case you end up needing it later.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards