This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you tend to leave out any optional information in your online loyalty accounts, you might want to make an exception for IHG. The hotel brand is offering IHG Rewards members 1,000 points on their birthday — meaning it’s the rare occasion when filling in extra account info actually gets you something in return.
To make sure you have your birthday set in your account so you can earn the extra points, just log in, click on Personal Information and scroll all the way to the bottom. There, can you add in your birthday month and day if it’s not specified already.
One catch: You can’t update your birthday manually after you’ve initially entered it. You’ll have to call customer service to change it. (So you won’t be able to celebrate 17 birthdays a year and get bonus points for each.)
It’s nice to get an automatic bonus without having to do any work. With many other loyalty programs and travel brands, you have to mention your birthday/anniversary/special occasion to a customer-facing agent — and even then, it’s usually up to their discretion.
That said, a handful of other loyalty programs offer straight-up birthday bonuses — for example, ANA Diamond elites receive a birthday gift when they’ve enrolled in Club Concierge, and Starwood has the Pay Your Birth Year promotion.
All in all, it’s worth taking the extra few minutes to make sure you’ve included your birthday in your IHG Rewards account (and other loyalty program accounts). 1,000 bonus points may not be worth much, but every little bit helps when you’re working toward your next travel redemption.
Featured image courtesy of the InterContinental Hong Kong.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening
- Enjoy a free night each year of card membership at over 4,900 hotels worldwide
- Earn 5 points for each $1 spent at our hotels
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants
- Bonus points redeemable at hotels such as Intercontinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn®
- Automatic platinum elite status, as long as you remain a credit cardmember
- $0 introductory annual fee the first year, then $49