This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to travel. Additionally, keep in mind that discounted partner fares may not earn miles with US-based carriers.
South Africa is normally one of the most expensive places in the world to fly to from the US, as it’s nearly halfway around the world. With just two nonstop flights per day from the US — one on Delta from Atlanta (ATL) and one on South African Airways from New York (JFK) — South Africa is usually accessed via Europe for most US-based travelers. Right now, several airlines are offering great deals to Johannesburg (JNB). Delta, in conjunction with its joint venture partners Air France, KLM and Virgin Atlantic are offering flights from $764 round-trip. These fares are valid for departures from September 2016 through June 2017 and will require at least one stop in each way in either Paris (CDG), Amsterdam (AMS) or London (LHR). Note that the cheapest itineraries we’ve found require two stops in each direction.
To find the lowest price, search with Momondo, and use the nearby airport feature. We noticed that for some dates, flights are cheaper from secondary airports such as San Jose (SJC) instead of San Francisco (SFO) or Santa Ana (SNA) instead of Los Angeles (LAX).
Airline: Delta, Air France, KLM and Virgin Atlantic
Route: West Coast to JNB
Cost: $764+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2016 – June 2017
Booking Link: Momondo
Pay With: American Express Premier Rewards Gold, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Santa Ana (SNA) to Johannesburg (JNB) on Delta and KLM for $764 in December:
San Jose (SJC) to Johannesburg (JNB) on Delta and Air France for $765 in December:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Johannesburg (JNB) on Virgin Atlantic for $807 in September:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: The Flight Deal
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards