This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
St. Maarten’s Princess Juliana Airport (SXM) is arguably the best airport for plane watching due to its idyllic — and challenging — location on Maho Beach. We’ve already posted about a crazy takeoff from the Caribbean airport, but SXM provides an almost endless supply of dramatic aviation videos — so we had to pick one more.
In this installation of crazy aviation videos, step into the cockpit with the pilot and co-pilot of a KLM 747-400 as it flies from Amsterdam (AMS) to St. Maarten (SXM). The crew explains how they’re able to successfully land such an enormous aircraft on a relatively short runway surrounded by less than hospitable terrain. You’ll also see stunning head-on views of the entire island from the cockpit — a vantage point that passengers will likely never experience.
Have you seen a 747 land at SXM?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards