This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Gibraltar is certainly one of the more unique places in Europe. It’s a densely populated British territory that shares a border with Spain on the tip of the Iberian peninsula. Perhaps even more unique is the territory’s airport, which is known as one of the more dangerous ones in the world due to a short runway and also because cars, pedestrians and airplanes all share a section of the runway.
In this edition of crazy aviation videos, watch (in beautiful 4K) Gibraltar’s unique — and seemingly dangerous — airport in action. Cars and motorbikes line up behind gates similar to those you’d find at a railroad crossing, waiting for a British Airways jet to land on the short runway, cross in front of them, turn around at the end of the runway and then cross the road again before finally parking at the gate. After the aircraft is parked, the gates go up and a rush of traffic from cars, bikes and pedestrians begins to cross right over the runway. It certainly seems dangerous to have that much activity happening on an active runway, but it appears to function like a well-oiled machine.
Have you witnessed Gibraltar’s airport in action?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards