This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Unfortunately Air Serbia has pulled the fare, roughly 40 minutes after we published. Congrats to anyone who was able to book this deal!
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to travel. Additionally, keep in mind that discounted partner fares may not earn miles with US-based carriers.
Air Serbia is currently offering absolutely incredible fares on its new nonstop flight from JFK. We had an opportunity to tour the airline’s A330, and you can expect a pretty comfy ride to Eastern Europe. Economy seats are in a 2-4-2 configuration, which is great for couples. These $149 round-trip fares are available nearly every day from September through the beginning of April 2017.
Book quickly and cancel for free within 24 hours if you’re not able to travel. It’s possible that this is a mistake fare, in which case Air Serbia could (but likely won’t) cancel your tickets, so I’d avoid booking nonrefundable hotels. You can also score cheap fares to many other Eastern European destinations, some of which you’ll see listed below. These appear to be “T” fares, in which case you’ll earn 25% miles (at least 2,250 miles for the round-trip) when crediting to Etihad Guest.
Airline: Air Serbia
Route: NYC to Belgrade, Bucharest, Sofia, Podgorica and more
Cost: $149+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September 2016 – April 2017
Booking Link: Expedia
Pay With: American Express Premier Rewards Gold, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are some examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Belgrade (BEG) for $149 round-trip on Air Serbia:
New York (JFK) to Sofia (SOF) for $227 round-trip on Air Serbia:
New York (JFK) to Podgorica (TGD) for $227 round-trip on Air Serbia:
New York (JFK) to Bucharest (OTP) for $228 round-trip on Air Serbia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards