This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Commercial airlines are increasingly providing customers with fast ViaSat in-flight satellite Wi-Fi, and soon the US government will as well. ViaSat Wi-Fi will soon be installed on Air Force One and other ‘VIP and special air mission aircraft.’ This means that the President, Vice President, Secretary of State and other high-level government officials and their staff will be connected to the same satellite network as passengers on United, JetBlue, Virgin America and American Airlines (in 2017).
Other government aircraft have been using ViaSat for several years, and the connection will certainly be secure for government use — but it’s still amazing that high-level government business will be conducted over the same satellites that everyday commercial passengers are connected to.
The $73 million contract was awarded to ViaSat because of its innovative hybrid Ku-/Ka-band connection which allows for automatic switching between satellites with different on-board tech. This ensures that the aircraft will always be connected to the strongest available network. Senior government officials and their staff can expect ‘a Situation Room in the Sky’ experience, meaning they will be able stream HD video for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, en-route command and control, search and rescue missions and many other functions critical to government operations.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards