This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re considering a trip to Aruba, Mexico or another destination in the Caribbean over the next several months, this Marriott sale could be worth a look.
Now through the end of the month, you can get up to 35% off leisure rates at 14 different Marriott properties in Latin America and the Caribbean. To be eligible for the full discount, you must be a Marriott Rewards member (though you don’t need elite status) and book a two-night minimum stay. While travel must be booked within the month of July, the discount is good for travel completed between August 1 and December 22, 2016.
It’s free to sign up for Marriott Rewards so there’s no reason not to become a member if you want to take advantage of this promotion, but if you prefer not to you could still get up to a 30% discount at the following properties. Non-members will need to use the booking code 3CL, while members don’t need to use any code.
- Casa Magna Cancun Marriott – 35% off
- Frenchman’s Reef Marriott (St. Thomas) – up to 35% off
- JW Marriott Cancun – 35% off
- Puerto Vallarta Casa Magna Marriott – 35% off
- Renaissance Carambola Resort (St. Croix) – 35% off
- Renaissance Jaragua (Santo Domingo) – 35% off
- St. Kitts Marriott – 35% off
- Aruba Marriott – 25% off
- Grand Cayman Marriott – 25% off
- JW Marriott Santo Domingo – 25% off
- Los Suenos Costa Rica Resort – 25% off
- Renaissance La Concha (San Juan) – 25% off
- San Juan Marriott Resort – 25% off
- JW Marriott Los Cabos Resort – 20% off
Is It Worth It?
Marriott’s never offered as much as 35% of this collection of resorts before, so if this sale aligns with your travel plans, it could be worth looking into. Here are a few examples of the discounts available through this promotion:
For a stay at the Category 9 Aruba Marriott Resort in August, I found 35% off promotional rates as low as $189 per night before taxes and fees — a two-night stay will run you a total of $479, compared to $679 without the discount. However, award nights are available for just 40,000 points plus $3.50. TPG values Marriott points at 0.7 cents each, so you’d be redeeming $280 worth of points for a free night. That makes a redemption worthwhile with the regular rate, but you might want to pay cash if booking as part of this discount. All three rates must be canceled 7 days before check-in to avoid a penalty.
Meanwhile, at the Category 9 Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort, you’ll pay just $136 per night (before some hefty taxes and a $45 daily resort fee) for a two-night stay in August, a 25% discount off the regular rate. The AAA rate, by comparison, is $20 more — both can be canceled for free up to 3 days before check-in.
The same room would require 45,000 points + $88.75 per night if redeeming points, so a paid booking is definitely the way to go here.
Many of the properties included in this promotion offer reasonable rates from August to late December, and up to 35% off only makes them an even better deal. If you’re able to maximize this promotion to book a relatively low rate at a discount, it’s definitely worth considering planning an off-season trip to the Caribbean.
Featured image courtesy of the Frenchman’s Reef Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort on St. Thomas.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards