This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The future of air travel is here — and it doesn’t include any jet fuel. On Sunday, the solar-powered aircraft Solar Impulse 2 departed Cairo, Egypt for Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates, where it ended its around-the-world flight attempt — using only power from the sun.
Two pilots, Bertrand Piccard and Andre Borschberg, took turns flying the aircraft on each of its 17 legs (the first of which was in March of 2015), and logged about 22,000 miles total on their trip. The aircraft itself is incredibly light — it only weighs as much as a typical SUV but its wingspan is as long as a Boeing 747. It was a record-setting flight in many regards — it’s the first aircraft to complete a transatlantic flight (New York to Seville, Spain) without using any fuel, as well as the aircraft to complete the longest solo flight without fuel — traveling for five days and five nights (from Japan to Hawaii) using only solar energy.
The two pilots hope that their around-the-world, solar-powered flight shows the world that the future of aviation is indeed bright and it will be entirely possible (one day) to travel across the world without using thousands of gallons of jet fuel to do so.
Featured image courtesy of Solar Impulse.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards