This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you may have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy, and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you may have missed this week:
It’s the beginning of a new month, which means it’s time for TPG’s breakdown of the best credit card offers of the month. Find out which ones are on the list for July.
This month, you can earn 10% cash back or 10x Ultimate Rewards points on hotel and car rental bookings made with the Chase Freedom card through Chase’s travel portal.
Find out what your points and miles are worth this month.
Read about strategies that can help you best use your Membership Rewards points earned from a variety of cards issued by American Express.
Singapore Airlines has released some award availability on the carrier’s new nonstop flight from San Francisco (SFO) to Singapore (SIN) on the brand new Airbus A350-900. Find out the best ways to redeem miles for a seat in business class on this ultra-long-haul flight.
In Other News…
Norwegian’s US Expansion Hits a Speed Bump
This week, the US government denied Norwegian’s request to fly to the US with its UK subsidiary. The plan was met with strong opposition by the three major US airlines. The Department of Transportation didn’t reveal specifics of the decision but said that the situation was ‘novel and complex.’
You Can Earn Double Alaska Miles of Japan Airlines Flights for a Limited Time
Alaska Airlines and Japan Airlines recently formed a partnership that includes a reciprocal mileage earning arrangement. Between July 7 and September 30, 2016, Alaska Mileage Plan members can earn double miles when traveling on some Japan Airlines flights.
Enjoy Belgian Fries on European Flights with Brussels Airlines
Brussels Airlines is embracing its Belgian roots with new food items on board many of the airline’s flights. You can now enjoy Belgian fries (served with mayo or ketchup) on all European flights over two hours. Soon after, the carrier will add another national delicacy — Belgian waffles — to these flights.
Get an Azerbaijani Visa Automatically with Azerbaijan Airlines
US citizens wishing to travel to Azerbaijan are required to purchase a visa before traveling to the country. However, if you book a ticket on Azerbaijan Airlines’ flight from New York (JFK) to Baku (GYD), you will automatically receive a short stay single-entry visa upon arrival. The visa is valid for 30 days.
Redeem Virgin Australia Miles for Gas at a Terrible Rate
Members of Virgin Australia’s Velocity loyalty program have a new way to use miles — at the gas pump. Note, however, that these redemptions represent an abysmal value.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards