This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This past year has been one of the most violent in recent memory. Despite significant international turmoil, there are still many amazing places to travel to overseas, from Europe to the Middle East and Asia. The Institute for Economics and Peace recently analyzed the most peaceful countries in the world for 2016, and several of them are easily bookable with points and miles or on low-cost carriers.
According to the report, the three most peaceful countries in the world for 2016 were Iceland, Denmark and Austria. Iceland is now easily accessible from the US with WOW Air flying from both coasts to Reykjavik starting at $99 one way. Its direct competitor, Icelandair, is bookable with Alaska Airlines miles from 22,500 in economy and 50,000 in business each way. But the carrier also frequently offers very cheap fares from its US destinations. In addition, Iceland makes for a great stopover on the way to Europe.
Denmark also benefits from cheap flights from the US. Norwegian Air operates its 787 Dreamliner from New York, Los Angeles, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas and Boston to Copenhagen multiple times per week. The airline regularly offers significantly reduced round-trip fares to Europe, as low as $239 last week. Copenhagen is also a hub for SAS, a Star Alliance carrier bookable with United MileagePlus miles for 30,000 each way in economy or 70,000 in business.
Austria, the third most peaceful country according to the rankings, is easily accessible from several airports like Vienna. The city is a hub for Austrian Airlines, another Star Alliance carrier, so you can use 30,000 MileagePlus miles in economy or 70,000 in business.
Whether you plan to travel to one of the top countries on this list or not, always check the State Department’s travel advisories and remain vigilant while traveling abroad.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards