This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Great news for T-Mobile customers planning to attend the 2016 Rio Olympics: the company recently announced that it’ll be offering free unlimited data during the month of August to customers heading to Brazil, so you’ll be able to easily keep in touch and share your experiences with friends and family back home.
The mobile provider already provides access to its speedy LTE network in more than 140 countries, including more than 40 European countries (with 4G available for a limited time in Europe). Data and texting are unlimited when used from overseas, and calls cost just $0.20 per minute (calls to the US are free over Wi-Fi). If you’re in the market for an international data plan, it’s also worth checking out Google’s Project Fi, which offers even better performance (though data costs $10 per GB).
T-Mobile is also running a special promotion for families of the Olympic athletes, offering free smartphones and T-Mobile service to the first 100 family members to email RoamFreeInRio@t-mobile.com with the following information:
- Your name
- The name of the Olympic athlete you’re related to
- The dates you’ll be in Rio de Janeiro
Brazil has already waived visa requirements for US Citizens this summer, so now could be a great time to visit despite the country’s current political and economic issues and concerns about catching the Zika Virus.
H/T: Conde Nast Traveler
Featured image of Rio de Janeiro’s Christ the Redeemer statue courtesy of Shutterstock.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards