This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to travel. Additionally, keep in mind that discounted partner fares may not earn miles with US-based carriers.
Air New Zealand is known for offering comfortable in-flight products like its Sky Couch in economy and new lie-flat Business Premier seats. And right now, you can book flights on the airline for heavily discounted prices during its 72-hour Summer Sale. The best deal we’re seeing is from Los Angeles (LAX) to the Cook Islands (RAR), which Air New Zealand flies to once per week nonstop. There are also sales on other routes from LAX and San Francisco (SFO) to New Zealand and Australia — all classes of service have $300 discounts per person.
The sale ends on July 14 at 11:59pm PDT for travel between August 1, 2016, and May 31, 2017.
Airline: Air New Zealand
Routes: LAX and SFO to AKL, BNE, MEL, RAR and SYD
Cost: $526+ round-trip in economy
Dates: August 2016 – May 2017
Booking Link: Orbitz
Pay With: American Express Premier Rewards Gold, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cook Islands (RAR) for $526 round-trip in December:
Normal fares on this route are $828 as a minimum, so Air New Zealand is offering really great discounts to this hard-to-access location. Premium Economy starts at $1,268, and Business Premier from $1,968.
San Fransisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL) for $775 round-trip in November:
Premium Economy is also available starting at $1,900, and Business Premier from $4,600 round-trip on this route. Those prices are good from both Los Angeles (LAX) and San Fransisco (SFO).
Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) for $774 round-trip in August:
Premium Economy is available from $1,934, and Business Premier from $5,187.
Los Angeles (LAX) to Sydney (SYD) for $787 round-trip in May:
Premium Economy is available from $1,948, and Business Premier from $5,201.
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards