This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – The Platinum Card from American Express, The Enhanced Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN
American Express is known to offer fantastic targeted sign-up promotions. Last month, Amex offered a 100,000-point sign-up bonus for the Platinum Card after spending $3,000 in the first three months. And since Amex usually only allows a person to get a credit card sign-up bonus once in a lifetime, it makes sense to wait until there is an amazing offer.
Well, now Amex is targeting business customers with an intriguing offer to say the least, offering an opportunity to earn up to 250,000 Membership Rewards points for signing up for the Business Platinum card. Unfortunately this isn’t the most straightforward bonus offer, though. You can earn 50,000 points after $5,000 in spending in the first six months, and then you get another 20,000 points for each purchase of $5,000 or more up to 10 times within the same time period.
So, effectively, after the first $5,000 in spending, you’ll be earning 5 points per dollar spent for every $5,000 purchase. There’s tremendous earning potential here, but with $55,000 in spending and the $5,000 purchase minimums, it would be almost impossible to satisfy the requirements if you don’t run a not-so-small business.
While it comes along with a hefty $450 annual fee, the Amex Platinum card can be tremendously valuable for frequent travelers, thanks to its $200 annual airline credit (which may possibly be used for Amazon gift cards), lounge access (including Amex-branded Centurion Lounges), Hilton and Starwood Gold status, Global Entry credit and more. You also get access to Amex’s Platinum Concierge service and the Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts program.
TPG values Membership Rewards points at 1.9 cents each, thanks in part to Amex’s transfer partners, making this bonus worth a stunning $4,750. If you’ve been on the fence about Amex Platinum or the Business Platinum Card, and you can meet the requirements here, now’s the time to jump!
Aside from the limited-time sign-up bonus of 100,000 points, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more and cardholders will receive a 50% Airline bonus when you redeem Membership Rewards for all or part of an eligible fare.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® points. Offer expires January 25, 2017.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- New: Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That’s 1.5 points per dollar, on each qualifying purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- Plus, continue to get one point per dollar for qualifying purchases under $5,000.
- New 50% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 50% of the points back.
- New: You can also receive 50% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Terms & Restrictions Apply
- See Rates & Fees