This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re planning to book a flight on Virgin America this summer, this current promo could be an easy way to earn some extra Elevate points.
Now through August 31, you can earn 50% extra points on all Virgin America-ticketed flights. To be eligible, you must be a member of the Elevate program and register for the promotion here. Also, according to the terms & conditions, it looks like you need to both book and fly between now and the end of August, so previously reserved tickets likely won’t qualify:
In this offer, you will earn 50% bonus points per $1 spent on the base fare for a total of 7.5 points per $1 spent on the base fare for all qualifying flights booked and flown between July 6, 2016 and Aug 31st 2016.
It’s probably not worth going out of your way to book travel on Virgin America travel during the applicable dates just to take advantage of this promotion, but if the timing works out it’s definitely a nice bonus.
This sample round-trip booking between New York and San Francisco in mid-August costs $421.39 before taxes and fees, which would earn you about 2,105 Elevate miles thanks to the carrier’s earning rate of 5 points per dollar.
If you registered for the promotion, you’d effectively earn 7.5 points per dollar instead, for a total of 3,157 points.
The opportunity to earn some extra Elevate points is definitely nice if it fits in with your travel plans, but keep in mind that the future of the program is uncertain in light of Alaska Airline’s upcoming acquisition of Virgin America. Back in April, Virgin America made some positive changes to the Elevate program and even assured customers that there would be “no changes to the program in the next several months.” And while Alaska Airlines has hinted that it might keep the Virgin America brand post-merger, there’s no saying how it could change earning and redemption options. In short, definitely earn the extra Elevate points if you can earn and burn them without going too far out of your way, but keep in mind that changes may be in store.
Will you take advantage of this bonus promotion?
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees