This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines is now allowing customers to book award flights on its regional subsidiary SilkAir at a 50% discount. Awards are available starting at just 3,750 miles each way between Singapore (SIN) and Kuala Lumpur (KUL), and 6,250 between SIN and Phnom Penh (PNH) and Phuket (HKT). This sale is valid for departures until October 31 and flights must be booked by August 4. A full list of routes available with this promotion and prices is available here.
As with any award sale, it pays to do a bit of research before you book. For example, as part of this sale, you can book Singapore to Phnom Penh for 12,500 miles + 165.80 SGD (about $122) round-trip. The same flight can be had for 335.80 SGD (about $247), so you’re saving $125 by applying 12,500 miles — not a fantastic rate. We value KrisFlyer miles at 1.5 cents each, so this booking this particular award doesn’t really make sense, even with the discount, though you could come out ahead depending on when and where you fly.
To book, just log in to Singapore’s site and search for routes that are listed in the promotion. Once you click on the flights, the discount will be applied automatically. Business class is also discounted 50% on these routes. Remember, you can transfer points from Starwood Preferred Guest, American Express Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou and Chase Ultimate Rewards to the Singapore KrisFlyer program.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards