This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you frequently travel to Singapore, this could be good news for you: Starting today, citizens of both the US and Singapore can apply online for a just-launched Trusted Traveler Program (TTP), which grants expedited immigration clearance at the countries’ respective checkpoints. This means if you qualify for the program, you’ll be able to use the enhanced-Immigration Automated Clearance System (eIACs) in Singapore, while eligible Singapore passport holders will get Global Entry access in the US.
Before you click through to sign up ahead of an upcoming flight to Changi airport, though, note that there are a few caveats. First, if you’re a US citizen you need to be an existing member of the Global Entry program — a no-brainer no matter where you travel abroad, especially considering there are several credit cards that offer a credit for the application fee. Second, to qualify for the TTP, you need to have visited Singapore at least three times within the last 12 months, and it appears that you’ll have to complete an in-person interview as well. So unless you frequently travel to SIN for business, pleasure or mileage run purposes, this option might not make sense.
The other eligibility requirements for US citizens are pretty straightforward: Your passport must be valid for more than six months, and you must be at least age six.
If you’re a Global Entry member who travels to Singapore on a regular basis, it could be worth looking into this program. However, this new agreement will likely benefit Singapore passport holders more, considering the insanely long immigration lines you’ll find at many US airports.
Featured image of Changi airport courtesy of Shutterstock.
Will this new Trusted Traveler Program have any impact on your travel?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards