This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines is currently offering a fare sale to and from tons of US and international destinations until June 9, valid for travel from the end of August through mid-December. The discounted fares come in tiers of $49, $79, $99 and $129 for one-way tickets. Note that travel is restricted to certain days of the week depending on the destination you’d like to visit, but it’s a great sale if you’re looking to get away at the end of the summer or in the fall. You can get even more value from this sale with the Southwest Companion Pass.
Route: Domestic and international routes
Cost: $49+ for one-way fares
Dates: August-December 2016
Booking Link: Orbitz
Pay With: Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Preferred
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Burbank (BUR) to Las Vegas (LAS) for $98 round-trip on Southwest in August:
Atlanta (ATL) to New Orleans (MSY) for $158 round-trip on Southwest in September:
Baltimore (BWI) to Nashville (BNA) for $198 round-trip on Southwest in October:
New York (LGA) to Denver (DEN) for $224 round-trip on Southwest in November:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards