This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As many readers know, I’ve long been a supporter of amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research. Its mission: to find a cure that rids the world of AIDS by 2020. Events like the Inspiration Gala, which took place last night, are also celebrations of style, and raise a significant amount of money and awareness for the cause.
For this year’s jet-set theme, inside the Skylight at Moynihan Station in Manhattan, I decided to take on a larger role as a presenting sponsor alongside Harry Winston and MAC.
It was certainly a star-studded evening: Master of ceremonies Whoopi Goldberg even mentioned me in her opening monologue. Then came the awards for people who have helped make a difference in the fight against AIDS. Kenneth Cole spoke. Model and activist Naomi Campbell and Louis Vuitton men’s artistic director Kim Jones accepted awards. Jason Derulo performed. And an auction — including the opportunity to dine and chill with Leonardo DiCaprio (who was in attendance) — pulled in hundreds of thousands of dollars.
It was an impressive show of commitment and concern. I was especially happy I could share the evening with many of our key partners who have helped make TPG into what it is today.
On a final note, I’d like to stress that charity is always important here at TPG, and while our main effort is the Points for Peace campaign, I’m really happy we could give a $100,000 donation to help find a cure for the millions of people living globally with HIV/AIDS.
To learn more about amfAR, including how to support the organization, visit the amfAR site.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards