This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Etihad has one of the most over-the-top first-class products in the industry. It one-upped its Middle Eastern counterparts Emirates and Qatar with the new Residence and Apartment on the Airbus A380. TPG reviewed Etihad’s inaugural flight on The Residence from New York-JFK last year and loved his experience, despite its hefty price tag. While the ultra-exclusive Residence product is only available to book with (millions of) Etihad Guest miles, The Apartment product is available for award booking with Etihad’s partners, including American Airlines.
Right now, there’s tremendous award availability on almost all Etihad routes to the US with multiple seats open in many cases, including on the carrier’s daily A380 service from Abu Dhabi (AUH) to New York (JFK). Additionally, we’re seeing availability on the carrier’s other A380 routes from Abu Dhabi (AUH) to London (LHR), Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL) and Mumbai (BOM).
American Airlines charges 115,000 AAdvantage miles for a one-way first-class ticket from the US to the Middle East. You could theoretically book JFK-AUH-BOM all in the Etihad Apartment for 115,000 miles, if available. For first-class Apartment redemptions, AUH-LHR costs 62,500 miles each way, AUH-BOM costs 40,000 each way and AUH-SYD and MEL both cost 100,000 each way.
To book flights, search for availability on Etihad’s site and look for “Guest First” seats. If available, call American directly to book. People have reported that the Australia call center (+61 02-9101-1948) is best at finding and booking Etihad award space.
Below are some examples of award availability on routes to the US:
Abu Dhabi (AUH) to New York (JFK) in The Apartment in October:
San Fransisco (SFO) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) in First Class in July:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) in First Class in July:
Washington, DC (IAD) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) in First Class in July:
Dallas (DFW) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) in First Class in July:
And here are the other A380 routes that Etihad operates internationally:
London (LHR) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) in The Apartment in July:
Melbourne (MEL) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) in The Apartment in July:
Sydney (SYD) to Abu Dhabi (AUH) in The Apartment in July:
Abu Dhabi (AUH) to Mumbai (BOM) in The Apartment in July:
Remember that award inventory can change quickly, so if you have dates that work, call American right away to request a free five-day hold on the reservation.
H/T: View From The Wing
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards