This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you own an Amazon Echo, Tap or Echo Dot (pictured above), there’s a fairly good chance you have a love/hate relationship with Alexa, the platform’s voice-controlled “personal assistant.” Personally, I don’t find much use for her beyond asking for the day’s weather, turning on and off my Philips Hue lights and setting a cooking timer, but Alexa can (theoretically) help with much more than that when you add in third-party “skills.”
One such skill, which launched today, is available through a partnership with Kayak. If you activate Alexa’s latest plug-in, you’ll be able to track flights, get hotel and rental car rates and even ask for travel destination suggestions based on your budget.
Here are a few examples of what you can ask:
I decided to take Alexa’s new Kayak skill for a spin. Here’s how that went:
As you can see, the results you get (if any) depend on what you ask and how you ask it. The flight-tracking function is by far the most useful at this point, but if you’re away from a computer you might want to try asking for airfare details or hotel pricing and availability. Like with other skills, I imagine Kayak will become more useful over time, but for now I’d only bother installing it to track flights.
Have you tried Alexa’s Kayak skill?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards