This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you often travel overseas, you’re probably at least familiar with T-Mobile’s fantastic free data option, which lets you roam in 120+ countries without any additional data fees. As you might expect, Cuba has been listed among the countries without T-Mobile service. This summer, that will change.
T-Mobile has just announced that it’s signed a deal with Empresa De Telecomunicaciones De Cuba, S.A. (ETECSA), the Cuban telecom provider, to offer service to customers visiting the country beginning this summer. Simple Choice customers will be able to make calls, send text messages and access data just as they currently can in any of T-Mobile’s 120+ other countries (though it’s possible that data will come along with a fee in Cuba). This is great news, especially with the Cuba travel floodgates set to open later this year.
Additionally, customers in the US with T-Mobile’s Stateside International Talk feature ($15 per month) will be able to call wireless phones and landlines in Cuba for 60 cents per minute, which believe it or not is 65% less expensive than it is today.
TPG Travel Editor Kaeli Conforti just returned from the very first US cruise to Cuba, and she had an absolutely fantastic time.
Will you (and your T-Mobile phone) be visiting Cuba?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards