This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways just announced a new promotion for using British Airways Avios to offset part of the cost of British Airways bookings. Rather than getting the standard 1 cent per Avios savings, now through May 17, you’ll save 1.5 cents per Avios.
Even better, this promotion allows you to apply more Avios to your booking than normal. The standard Avios Part Payment option only allows you to apply 7,500 Avios to save $75. For the next week, you can apply up to 15,000 Avios to save $225 off economy tickets and up to 30,000 Avios to save $450 off business and first-class tickets.
Just make sure to book by May 17 for British Airways or American Airlines flights for travel now through September 30.
Is It Worth It?
In the latest monthly valuations, TPG estimates the value of Avios at 1.5 cents each. We base this valuation off the value you can expect from a flight redemption. Using Avios during this promotion saves you exactly 1.5 cents per Avios, so it would seem to be equal to our valuation.
However, when applying Avios to partially pay for a booking, you’ll still earn award and elite-qualifying miles — vs. using Avios for award flights, where you won’t earn miles. That means you’ll save 1.5 cents and earn miles with the Avios Part Payment option, rather than just saving ~1.5 cents per Avios.
Applying this savings to paid fares is especially valuable this week, as British Airways and American Airlines are running some excellent promotions on paid fares.
Save even more by combining this promotion with other promotions currently being offered.
If you’re an AARP member, you can save $65 per person off economy tickets and $400 per person off Club World (business class) or First class tickets. Also, if you’re crediting your flights to American Airlines and flying before July 31, you’ll earn 2,000 (economy) to 25,000 (business/first) bonus miles per round-trip if you’ve registered for the current AA promotion.
However, you can’t combine this Avios Part Payment Promotion with the Chase British Airways Visa Signature Card 10% savings promotion code (when flying on British Airways marketed and operated flights). That means there’s no advantage to flying in those outdated and crowded British Airways Club World seats, so grab a seat in American Airlines’ amazing 777-300ER business class instead.
Do you plan on utilizing Avios during this promotion?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards