This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Chase provided the following statement concerning this error:
We sent a letter to a limited group of customers in error. We apologize for the confusion and have or will automatically credit the bonus points for customers who qualified.
One of the biggest incentives to add a new card to your wallet is the sign-up bonus, so you can imagine how frustrating it might be to learn that you’re ineligible for an offer after you sign up and begin working toward your minimum-spend requirement. Well, that’s exactly what happened to some customers this week. When TPG reader Marc H. called Chase to confirm his eligibility, he was told that nearly 90,000 postcards went out in error informing cardholders that they’re ineligible for a bonus because they took advantage of a similar offer within the past two years.
I called Chase as well, and the representative I spoke to explained that postcards dated May 12, 2016 were sent by mistake, so if you received one and you haven’t had the same card in the past, you should be good to go. The rep said that postcards were sent referencing three Chase cards: the British Airways Visa Signature Card, the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card and the United MileagePlus Explorer Card.
Here’s Chase’s standard policy regarding offer eligibility:
This product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of this credit card who received a new Cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months.
If the above does not apply to your situation, you’re likely eligible for the offer you signed up for. It may make sense to send Chase a secure message from your account to confirm.
Did you receive a postcard in error?
- Earn 80,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Plus, earn 7,500 bonus points when you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Enjoy 1 Free Night Stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year after your account anniversary date!
- Earn unlimited Marriott Rewards points and get Free Night Stays faster
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent at participating Marriott Rewards & SPG hotels
- 2 points per $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airlines, at car rental agencies & restaurants. Plus 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
- The fastest way to earn Marriott Rewards Elite Status. Receive 15 Elite Credits guaranteeing Silver Elite Status or better.
- All for an $85 Annual Fee