This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The next time you walk into a pizzeria in Asia, a robot might be standing there to greet you — and take your order. MasterCard is working on bringing its MasterPass digital wallet software to Pepper, a robot designed by SoftBank and Aldebaran Robotics. Pepper is said to have the capability to understand and process human emotion, and will be able to use your transaction history to suggest items as well as provide other information, such as nutrition facts, to the customer. With MasterPass support, customers will be able to pay from their smartphone like they would at any other ‘smart’ card reader.
The promotional video released by MasterCard shows the diminutive — and admittedly adorable — Pepper taking a customer’s order and then accepting her payment. The robot ‘wears’ a tablet on its front side to display order information, nutrition facts and payment details. Customers at select Pizza Hut restaurants in Asia will be the first to interact with Pepper, which should begin popping up by late 2016. So far there is no timeline to bring Pepper to the US, but MasterCard has indicated that the robot is part of its plan to stay on the cutting edge of mobile payments through various connected devices.
How do you feel about ordering your food from a robot?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards