This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Dreamliner is one of the comfiest ways to get from A to B. It’s always a bonus when a carrier announces that it will begin flying a Dreamliner on a route that isn’t typically serviced by a 787 — especially when both the origin and destination are within the US.
Well, Dreamliner lovers rejoice: American Airlines will be flying the 787-8 Dreamliner between Los Angeles (LAX) and Chicago (ORD) daily from June 2 until (at least) April 11, 2017.
Only one of the nine daily flights between LAX-ORD will be on the Dreamliner. So, if you want to make sure to be on the right flight, the schedule will be:
- Los Angeles to Chicago: Flight 110, departs 9:40am, arrives 3:47pm
- Chicago to Los Angeles: Flight 2225, departs 6:20pm, arrives 8:38pm (June 2-August 22)
- Chicago to Los Angeles: Flight 111, departs 5:28pm, arrives 8:01pm (August 23-April 11)
Want to experience lie-flat business-class seats on a four-hour domestic flight? Flights in business class are running at least $718 round-trip. But, if you’re an American Airlines Gold or Platinum, you can apply four 500-mile upgrades to upgrade from economy to business one-way. These business-class seats will likely be popular, but at least there are 28 of them to possibly upgrade into.
Just make sure to pick your seat carefully — especially if you hope to catch a nap on the flight. As TPG Contributor Kevin Song details in his review of the AA Dreamliner, many of the business-class seats are connected to each other. If your neighbor moves, you’re going to feel it.
Main Cabin Extra
The American Airlines 787-8 Dreamliner offers 57 Main Cabin Extra seats — more than any other aircraft in the fleet. While these seats are still just 17 inches wide, at least you’ll get five more inches of legroom than the standard economy seats.
AA Platinum and Executive Platinum elite members can grab one of the 57 Main Cabin Extra seats at booking. Gold status holders have the option to pick a Main Cabin Extra seat for 50% off ($29-$31 each way for this route) — or for free at check-in. No status? Pick the best available option and then make sure to check for better options at check-in. Just don’t be tricked into paying to choose a seat when you might not have to.
Are you going to fly AA’s domestic Dreamliner route?
- For a limited time, earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy Group 1 Boarding on American Airlines flights*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases.1
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
- Double AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back — up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year*