This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, Amex added Etihad Guest as a transfer partner, letting you convert Membership Rewards points into Etihad Guest miles at a 1:1 ratio. While you can use Etihad Guest miles to book flights operated by the carrier, including Etihad’s fantastic A380 Apartment, you can often get even more value by using those miles to book partner flights, such as those operated by American Airlines.
For example, here’s what you’ll need to redeem for a one-way flight from New York to Los Angeles:
|Program||Economy (Miles)||Economy (MR Points)||2-Cabin Business/First (Miles)||Business/First (MR Points)|
|Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)||20,000||20,000||30,000||30,000|
|British Airways Executive Club||12,500||15,625||37,500||46,875|
As you can see, Etihad comes out ahead of Amex’s two other transfer partners that allow you to book AA flights: Asia Miles and British Airways. There are many other deals to be had on American Airlines flights and those operated by Etihad’s other partners.
And now there’s more good news! To celebrate the new partnership, Amex is offering a 30% bonus when you transfer points through June 15, 2016. Under the current promo, you’ll get 1,300 Etihad Guest miles for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points you transfer. Not a bad deal!
With the current promotion, you’ll need just 10,000 Membership Rewards points for a one-way American Airlines flight within the US (in economy) or 20,000 points for a one-way business or first-class flight, and you’ll have a few Etihad miles to spare.
H/T: View from the Wing
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees