This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier today, we shared the news of a limited-time Membership Rewards transfer bonus to Etihad Guest, and now it looks like Amex has added a similar promotion for Virgin Atlantic. Through May 31, when you transfer points from Membership Rewards to Virgin Atlantic, you’ll get a 30% bonus. You’ll need to transfer points in blocks of 1,000 — during the promo period, you’ll get 1,300 miles for every 1,000 Amex points you transfer.
Note that Virgin Atlantic adds hefty fuel surcharges to award redemptions. However, the number of miles you’ll need is quite reasonable. For example, you can currently book one-way economy awards from New York to London for just 12,250 miles + roughly $250, while Upper Class (business) will run you 40,000 miles + up to $500. Round-trip flights are much pricier, due to the UK’s very high Air Passenger Duty. A round-trip NYC-LHR economy award is currently 24,500 miles, but you’ll spend as much as $775 in taxes and surcharges. Upper Class, meanwhile, will run you 80,000 miles round-trip plus up to $1,350 — ouch!
That said, if fares are very high on your travel dates, it could make sense to book awards using Virgin Atlantic miles — just be sure to do your homework before you take advantage of this transfer bonus. See this post for details about how to book once you transfer your points. You can earn Membership Rewards points with a handful of Amex cards, including The Platinum Card from American Express, Premier Rewards Gold and EveryDay Preferred, among others.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees