This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber’s making some changes to its frequent rider program this spring. Beginning May 1, Uber’s New York City VIP program will become VIP Rewards, offering similar perks to the service’s most frequent users. To qualify for this updated VIP service, you’ll have to take at least 10 trips in a calendar month within New York City — then, after that period, take 10 trips in a single month in any Uber city to hang onto your status. Uber also offers a three-month grace period, so you’ll still have some time to regain status if you miss a month or two. Before this update, users had to take 100 rides in New York City alone to gain VIP status.
If you’re currently a VIP, you’ll keep that designation until July 1, at which point you’ll have to meet the 10-ride minimum so make sure you’re taking 10 or more trips in April, May or June — for you, however, these first 10 rides can take place in any city. Note that Uber Rush and Uber Eats do not count towards the monthly total.
The benefits of this program are pretty simple — you’ll have the option to only connect with top-rated drivers as well as exclusive offers and early access to promotions. To see where you stand, check your ride history from the menu, where you can also see your own rating. Based on Uber’s website, it’s unclear if VIPs will keep all the same perks — in the old program, for instance, elite users would have complimentary access to better vehicles. In an email to its VIP members, Uber said to expect more details in the coming weeks, so it’s possible more benefits will be announced soon.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards