This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yesterday, Starbucks launched its new rewards program — and much in line with devaluations of all kinds, it turned to a revenue-based rewards system. The change in the program is generally bad news for Starbucks customers. Where you used to get one star per transaction, with a requirement of 12 to score a free drink and 30 to secure Gold status, you’ll now earn 2 stars per dollar, free drinks will cost 125 stars and you’ll need 300 stars to earn Gold status.
But with a new promotion, Starbucks is offering Gold status for a year with just one purchase by May 2. For new and current Green status members (0-299 stars), you’ll get Gold status for one year. Your status will be updated within 48 hours of the purchase, and any stars you accumulated at the Green level will reset to zero when you receive Gold status. In addition, you’ll need to collect 125 stars to earn your first Star Reward.
With the promotion, existing Gold members with status as of April 11, 2016, can receive an additional year with the status. Your status will be updated after the promotion ends (May 2), and you can check your account history in the Starbucks app to see your new extended date.
In order for the single purchase to count, you must be a member of Starbucks Rewards and pay with the Starbucks app or registered card. Gold status members receive monthly double-star days, a personalized gold card and Star Rewards for every 125 stars earned.
This is a promotion that’s worth taking advantage of — even if you’re not a regular Starbucks customer. With just a single purchase, you’ll receive some pretty neat perks, which could be valuable the more you dine at the chain. In addition to earning stars for your purchases, be sure to sync a points-earning card with the app to earn you even more rewards, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards