This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is running a new promotion to drive more travelers to try its MileagePlus X app: 500 bonus United miles on your first purchase through the app. The promotion is limited to the primary cardholders of the United MileagePlus Explorer Card, and your first purchase must be made before July 31, 2016.
If you don’t have the MileagePlus Explorer Card already, if you sign up now you can earn 30,000 bonus United miles after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first three months. The card’s travel perks are especially nice when flying on United: free checked bags, priority boarding, two free lounge passes per year and expanded United award availability — earning this card a “keep” rating on TPG’s credit card inventory.
Unfortunately, the fine print on the bonus says “you must be a new MileagePlus X user,” so it seems to only be available for anyone who hasn’t used the app before. United links your MileagePlus account with your app. So, uninstalling and reinstalling — or installing the app on another phone — probably won’t make you eligible to earn the 500-mile bonus again.
Even if this isn’t your first time using it, there’s a lot to like about the MileagePlus X app. Purchases through the app will earn between 1 and 5 United miles per dollar spent. A glance at the merchants in my area show most are in the 3x-5x range. With TPG’s current valuation of 1.5 cents per United mile, this means you’ll be getting up to 7.5 cents of value per dollar spent.
In addition, MileagePlus Explorer Card members get a 25% bonus on any earnings through the app — even if you don’t use the Explorer Card to make the purchase — boosting the value you’d get per dollar spent to nearly 9.4 cents.
Remember, if you have an American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card, you can still get a $100 Amazon gift card reimbursed using your annual airline credit. Since the reimbursement is separate from the app, United should still grant you the 500-mile bonus for your first purchase through the app. That means you can use your Amex PRG airline credit to end up with a $100 Amazon gift card and 700 United miles for free!
Have you used the MileagePlus X app?
- Start with 30,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Check your first bag for free - save up to $100 per roundtrip
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club with two one-time-use passes every year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn double miles on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Your miles don't expire as long as your credit card account is open, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95