This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week during SXSW, Gogo flew its 737-500 “inflight connectivity laboratory” from Chicago to Austin for a couple of media demo flights. I had a chance to spend 90 minutes in the air with the company’s new 2Ku satellite Wi-Fi, while also exploring the “Jimmy Ray,” Gogo’s very own “private” 737.
While you may not have very nice things to say about Gogo’s current in-flight Wi-Fi (and carriers have heard your complaints), the next-gen 2Ku satellite service will likely represent a huge step up when it finally makes it onboard commercial aircraft. It’s meant to compete with ViaSat’s faster Ka-band Wi-Fi, which is already flying on JetBlue, United’s 737s and a few Virgin America planes in the US. While it wouldn’t be fair to compare 2Ku based on one demo flight, the service worked very well during this week’s test.
That said, the highlight for me was getting to sit up front in the jump seat of a 737 for our landing at Austin-Bergstrom Int’l Airport, which is something I obviously wouldn’t have been allowed to do on a commercial flight. Not only that, but I was permitted to capture a video of the experience as we landed on runway 17L, which you can see at the top of this post. It sure beats flying a 737 simulator!
Are you looking forward to faster in-flight Wi-Fi?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards