This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japan is one of my favorite countries — it’s been about 18 months since my last trip, so I’m excited to be heading back this week to work on some exciting new content for TPGtv with my film crew. One of the things I’ve learned from the first season of TPGtv is that we need to share more points and miles tips, so that’s exactly what we’re going to give you going forward.
We planned and booked this Japan trip almost entirely on points and miles. I’ll be flying in Singapore Airlines Suites on the A380 using KrisFlyer miles and staying at the Andaz Tokyo, the Park Hyatt and the Grand Hyatt by transferring my Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Hyatt Gold Passport — rates during cherry blossom season were crazy this week and we were able to snag some great deals on standard rooms by booking with points. I’m also going to be testing out my Hyatt Diamond perks during these award stays and later, staying at The St. Regis Osaka — I’ve never been to Osaka, so people, please feel free to share your tips!
We’re going to be filming, not only at the hotels but also onboard the planes. I’ve never flown with ANA so I’m really excited to test out the airline’s first class product on my flight back — not only that, I’ll be flying home on ANA’s swanky Star Wars 777.
Want to see more? Follow me on Snapchat — I’ll be sharing everything from the hotels we stay in to the planes we fly on, as well as fun behind-the-scenes treats like how I packed for the trip. You can also follow along with all my travel adventures on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Don’t forget to subscribe to The Points Guy on YouTube — you’ll be notified as soon as each new episode appears.
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards