This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each month, airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes — and today, TPG Assistant Editor Matt Zuzolo shares just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (e.g., flight schedules, aircraft and more) could change based on travel dates.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN MARCH 2016
Dubai (DXB) – Auckland (AKL) on Emirates (launched March 1, 2016)
Details — Emirates launched the world’s longest flight at the beginning of the month between its hub in Dubai and Auckland, New Zealand. The flight, operated by the airline’s 777-200LR aircraft, takes about 17 hours to complete. Qatar also plans to launch a new flight to Auckland soon, which will be just a tad longer than Emirates’ service.
EK448 Dubai (DXB) 10:05am Departure ⇒ Auckland (AKL) 11am (+1) Arrival EK449 Auckland (AKL) 9:30pm Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 5:45am (+1) Arrival
Los Angeles (LAX) – Stockholm (ARN) on SAS (launched March 14, 2016)
Details — SAS launched a new nonstop route to the US this month. The flight is about 11 hours long and is in competition with Norwegian, as that carrier already has service between the two cities.
SK940 Los Angeles (LAX) 2:15pm Departure ⇒ Stockholm (ARN) 10:00am (+1) Arrival SK939 Stockholm (ARN) 9:50am Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 12:15pm Arrival
New domestic service on Southwest (launched March 2016)
Details — Southwest launched three new domestic routes this month:
- Pittsburgh (PIT) — St. Louis (STL)
- Washington Dulles (IAD) — Atlanta (ATL)
- Washington Reagan (DCA) — Omaha (OMA)
New domestic and international service on American Airlines (launched March 2016)
Details — American Airlines launched a variety of new flights in North America this month:
- Kansas City (MCI) — Cancun (CUN)
- Nashville (BNA) — Cancun (CUN)
- Pittsburgh (PIT) — Cancun (CUN)
- Raleigh-Durham (RDU) — Cancun (CUN)
- Chicago (ORD) — Albany (ALB)
- Dallas (DFW) — Mérida (MID)
- Phoenix (PHX) — Lubbock (LBB)
- Phoenix (PHX) — Memphis (MEM)
- Phoenix (PHX) — Midland (MAF)
- Phoenix (PHX) — Roswell (ROW)
New domestic and international service on Delta (launched March 2016)
Details — Delta also launched new routes around the US and to Latin America this month:
- Salt Lake City (SLC) — Raleigh-Durham (RDU)
- Atlanta (ATL) — Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI)
- Minneapolis (MSP) — Savannah (SAV)
Chicago (ORD) – Reykjavik (KEF) on Icelandair (launched March 16, 2016)
Details — Icelandair launched a new flight to the US this month with service between Chicago (ORD) and Iceland. You can also book a stopover of up to one week on flights headed to continental Europe.
Schedule (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday):
FI852 Chicago (ORD) 7:30pm Departure ⇒ Reykjavik (KEF) 6:35am (+1) Arrival FI853 Reykjavik (KEF) 4:45pm Departure ⇒ Chicago (ORD) 6:15pm Arrival
Boston (BOS) – Doha (DOH) on Qatar Airways (launched March 16, 2016)
QR744 Boston (BOS) 10:55pm Departure ⇒ Doha (DOH) 5:45pm (+1) Arrival QR743 Doha (DOH) 8:20am Departure ⇒ Boston (BOS) 2:30pm Arrival
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN MARCH 2016
New international service on Qatar Airways
Details — Qatar Airways announced a variety of new flights around the world earlier this month, including a flight with the goal of dethroning Emirates’ current world’s longest flight — all of these will originate in Doha (DOH):
- Pisa, Italy
- Sarajevo, Bosnia
- Helsinki, Finland
- Skopje, Macedonia
- Nice, France
- Marrakech, Morocco
- Windhoek, Namibia
- Douala, Cameroon
- Libreville, Gabon
- Lusaka, Zambia
South Pacific and Southeast Asia:
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Krabi, Thailand
- Chiang Mai, Thailand
Los Angeles (LAX) – Hong Kong (HKG) on American (launching September 7, 2016)
AA193 Los Angeles (LAX) 1:55am Departure ⇒ Hong Kong (HKG) 8:10am (+1) Arrival AA192 Hong Kong (HKG) 8:20pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 6:40pm Arrival
Los Angeles (LAX) – Beijing (PEK) on Delta (launching December 16, 2016)
Details — Delta is also launching a new flight to Asia from LA. The airline will operate its 777-200ER to Beijing, which includes Delta One service.
- DL9 Los Angeles (LAX) 12:30pm Departure ⇒ Beijing (PEK) 5:45pm (+1) Arrival
- DL8 Beijing (PEK) 7:30pm Departure ⇒ Los Angeles (LAX) 3:45pm Arrival
San Francisco (SFO) – Hangzhou, China (HGH) on United (launching July 13, 2016)
Details — United is joining American and Delta with new announcements for flights to Asia this month — the carrier will be launching a flight to Hangzhou, located in Eastern China, on its 787-9 Dreamliner this summer.
UA982 San Francisco (SFO) 2:15pm Departure ⇒ Hangzhou (HGH) 6:10pm (+1) Arrival (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday) UA983 Hangzhou (HGH) 11:30am Departure ⇒ San Francisco (SFO) 8:25am Arrival (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
New Emirates service to Southeast Asia (launching August 3, 2016)
Details — Emirates will launch two flights to service Yangon, Myanmar (RGN) and Hanoi, Vietnam (HAN) this summer on its 777-300ER. While Emirates is marketing the flight as new service to Yangon and Hanoi, the reality is that travelers heading to Hanoi will have a short connection in Yangon on both the outbound and return trips.
EK388 Dubai (DXB) 2:50am Departure ⇒ Yangon (RGN) 11:05am Arrival
- EK388 Yangon (RGN) 12:35pm Departure ⇒ Hanoi (HAN) 2:50pm Arrival
- EK389 Hanoi (HAN) 10:50pm Departure ⇒ Yangon (RGN) 12:20am (+1) Arrival
- EK389 Yangon (RGN) 1:50am Departure ⇒ Dubai (DXB) 5:05am Arrival
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards