This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thanks to a new promotion, members can earn up to 55,000 bonus miles when transferring points to the program from one of its partners now through April 18. The bonus depends on how many points you transfer and can range from a minimum of 500 to 55,000 in the top tier.
Unfortunately, Membership Rewards transfers aren’t eligible for this bonus, however Aeroplan does have other popular partners including Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards and Hilton HHonors. For a full list of eligible programs, visit Aeroplan’s website. This promotion also allows members to earn the bonus by converting from a combination of eligible partners.
Keep in mind that Starwood members earn a 25% bonus on top of the usual 1:1 transfer rate for moving points to an airline, so if you move 160,000 Starpoints, you’ll really end up with 200,000 Aeroplan miles plus 55,000 bonus miles for a grand total of 255,000. In all, you’d get nearly 60% more miles after this transfer.
This is a great chance to reduce costs if you’re booking an award flight with a Star Alliance carrier from one of the eligible programs. Aeroplan redemptions aren’t always the best option, however flights to Europe are one area where the program excels. The inclusion of Membership Rewards would have been welcome, but even with SPG or another rewards program, there’s value to be had depending on your redemption plans. Also note that the bonus miles are not awarded immediately, so plan accordingly.
There’s no telling how much longer these cards will be around and available for new applications because of the Marriott takeover, so now might just be the perfect time to apply. Apart from hotel redemptions, you can transfer Starpoints to over 30 airline partners, and now also transfer points from Starwood to Marriott Rewards at a 1:3 ratio, opening up even more redemption options.
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Starpoints® for each dollar of eligible purchases spent on the Card at participating SPG® & Marriott Rewards® hotels. Earn 1 Starpoint for all other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on International purchases.
- Receive free in-room, premium internet access. Booking requirements apply.
- Redeem Starpoints® at over 1,300 participating hotels and resorts in over 100 countries and for flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights, all with no blackout dates.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees