This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi ThankYou Premier Card
The Citi Forward card, which can no longer be obtained, is pretty unique compared to other rewards card options. For starters, it awards 5 Citi ThankYou points per dollar spent on restaurants, music, movies and books — and up until recently, the 5x bonus also applied to Amazon purchases, so earning potential was quite high compared to the normal rate you’d see with other cards.
Unfortunately, Citi is changing the Forward card’s category bonus benefits on June 4, dropping earnings to just 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants, music, movies and books. The good news is the card’s other benefits will remain unchanged (including the ability to earn 100 bonus points each month you pay at least your minimum payment and stay within your credit limit), and the card’s former 5-year expiration policy won’t apply to points earned on or after June 4, 2016.
While the Citi Forward card is no longer available, the Citi ThankYou Premier and Citi Prestige let you earn 2 points per dollar spent on restaurants and entertainment spending as well, including sporting events, movie theaters, record stores and more. Still, since the Forward card doesn’t carry an annual fee, if you already have one you might as well hold onto it, as closing a card that you’ve had for several years will likely impact your credit score.
While Citi announced some negative changes to this card back in July — including a lower sign-up bonus, the elimination of Admirals Club access and the end of the free rounds of golf benefit — one of its most valuable perks still remains, which is the 4th Night Free perk. This benefit alone can save you thousands of dollars a year if you use it to its full advantage.
- $250 Air Travel Credit each year, and receive a statement credit, up to $100 every 5 years, as reimbursement for your application fee for Global Entry or TSA Pre √®
- 4th night hotel benefit for any hotel stay at hotels booked through the Citi Prestige® Concierge
- Earn 40,000 bonus points after $4,000 in purchases made with your card in the first 3 months the account is open.
- Points are redeemable for a $532 flight on any airline or $400 in gift cards.
- Transfer points to a variety of travel loyalty programs from airlines to hotels.
- Earn 3x points on Air Travel and Hotels
- Earn 2x points on Dining at Restaurants and Entertainment
- 1 ThankYou® Point per $1 spent on other purchases