This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
You can already use Chase Ultimate Rewards and American Express Membership Rewards points to purchase products directly from Amazon. And now Citi is joining that group, as it announced that cardholders of points-earning cards can now use their ThankYou points directly to purchase products on Amazon. When users go to check out of their Amazon accounts, they’ll see their ThankYou points balance, as well as the option to pay for the purchase entirely or in-part with ThankYou points.
There are two ways to enroll in Citi’s Shop with Points at Amazon. First, you can add your ThankYou points-earning card to your Amazon profile and make a purchase, which will automatically enroll you in the program. Second, you can go to amazon.com/citi to link your accounts.
The Shop with Points feature is now active, but you won’t get good value out of your Citi ThankYou points from it. On Amazon, 1 ThankYou point is worth 0.8 cents — not a good redemption. In fact, it’s half the value you’ll get when redeeming for paid American Airlines flights if you have the Citi Prestige card.
This is a nice option to have, especially if you have a pile of ThankYou points that you don’t know what to do with. However, the value you’ll get when using ThankYou points on Amazon is nowhere near that of other redemption options.
While Citi announced some negative changes to this card back in July — including a lower sign-up bonus, the elimination of Admirals Club access and the end of the free rounds of golf benefit — one of its most valuable perks still remains, which is the 4th Night Free perk. This benefit alone can save you thousands of dollars a year if you use it to its full advantage.
- $250 Air Travel Credit each year, and receive a statement credit, up to $100 every 5 years, as reimbursement for your application fee for Global Entry or TSA Pre √®
- 4th night hotel benefit for any hotel stay at hotels booked through the Citi Prestige® Concierge
- Earn 40,000 bonus points after $4,000 in purchases made with your card in the first 3 months the account is open.
- Points are redeemable for a $532 flight on any airline or $400 in gift cards.
- Transfer points to a variety of travel loyalty programs from airlines to hotels.
- Earn 3x points on Air Travel and Hotels
- Earn 2x points on Dining at Restaurants and Entertainment
- 1 ThankYou® Point per $1 spent on other purchases